Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Free Stuff and New Modes of Hauling Things Around

Remember the couple going off to get married in the US? Of course, you do. I told you about it during my last post. Well, the girl of this couple, named Whitney, invited us over to her apartment last night because she had a lot of stuff leftover from the two previous preschool teachers and she wanted to give some of it back to us. Apparently, she helped the teachers to the train station when they left (this would have been a week before I arrived in Taiwan since that's when they left) and they gave her a suitcase full of clothes and bathroom supplies that they didn't want to take with them.

Well that was well and good, but all that stuff has been sitting in Whitney's apartment for weeks. Now, when she's going to be moving out, she doesn't know what to do with it so she decides we might be able to use some of it. Whatever we didn't take could go to the church our some second-hand store.

So, Steph and I went over and looted the things that Whitney was trying to get rid of. At first we were making piles, but when figuring out a way to get it all back to our apartment became an issue, Steph came up with an interesting idea. Rather than having to call someone and make them bring a car over to help us haul everything back to our place, why could we rig up the suitcase to one of our bikes and drag it behind us? The suitcase has wheels, after all. She would pull out the carrying handle and then tie it to the back of her bike, looping a scarf around her seat pole thingie to secure it in place. Can't think of how exactly this works? Don't worry, I took pictures of it.

In my head, I thought it was crazy. How would a bike manage to carry a huge, heavy suitcase around? One of them would surely fall over with the stress during the ride. But then we put it to the test and...well...it worked.

We got all of our new baggage back to our apartment in one trip. I was amazed and still am, quite frankly. We were joking about making it into a business; we would carry people's luggage around for them at a cheaper price than regular companies and we would be making near maximum profit. We wouldn't have to worry about gas and we wouldn't have to pay for the bikes. Well, mostly. I think if one of the bikes broke, we would have to pay for it, but Steph says that since the bikes are rusty, it wouldn't be our fault that they couldn't handle the strain. I can't say I'm completely convinced, but I'm too happy with all of my free stuff to think about it too hard.

If you're curious, whatever we don't use we will give to members of the church. I'm sure someone can use it.




No comments:

Post a Comment