Friday, June 24, 2011

1st Full Day in Taiwan

I took some pictures of the apartments above the preschool where me and the other English teacher will be staying. Unfortunately, I just got hit with exhaustion, probably on account of only getting a total of 5 hours of sleep in the last 2 and a half days. For me, that's far too little to be functioning properly.

I will say that the Squirts are even more adorable in person. If I sit and eat lunch with them, it's like I'm instantly the center of attention because I'm the 'new teacher.' For some reason, they keep calling me Teacher Amy, I think because one of the previous interns was named Amy. Or maybe there's a past life of mine that I'm not aware of that they inexplicably know about. Who knows? I'm tired.

Our manager took me to the night market and the grocery store today to show me how to get good, cheap food in Taiwan. I'm starting to think that the US should adopt a bazaar system to supplement our capitalist economy. This food is awesome! There's meat dumplings, something like french toast packed with meat and veggies, fried chicken, and a juice bar where you can combine the flavors of any fruits you want.

Also, I hope I never have to do anything beyond biking here because the trafficking laws are insane. I rode on the back of my manager's scooter and she and everybody else were driving on the roads in ways I would never dream of being safe. It's a drivers ed's teacher's nightmare. I'm sure this isn't the only place in the world (just look at downtown Chicago) but this is definitely one of the extreme places.

Here's to hoping it doesn't take me too much longer to get used to this heat!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like an awesome way to start another chapter in your life. I know your mom through Diaryland and knitting, plus some games on Facebook. Have a good day. =^..^=

    ReplyDelete