Sunday, September 18, 2011

To the Show

I'm way tired tonight, so I will make this a quick post (I always say that and they almost always turn out long).

Yesterday morning, I helped out at a Primary activity for my church. The kids were decorating the covers of notebooks for themselves. They had a choice of several designs; they could glue on random shapes or they could make characters from different video games. Last week, I made a Spongebob Squarepants cover to demonstrate to the kids what they would be doing. A lot of them really liked it and wanted to make them immediately, but they had to wait a week. Too bad!

Later on that night, I went to a dance recital that one of my tutoring kids was in. Her mother gave me tickets, so I was happy to go. I invited one of my friends from the church to go with me since I didn't want to go alone or have to take a taxi since he has a scooter. The recital was absolutely gorgeous and their costumes were amazing! The guy I went with, George, took a lot of pictures of the costumes. I will have to see if I can get a few of them so I can put them here. He was taking pictures during the performance, which I couldn't do because my camera isn't cool enough and we were too far away for me to take clear pictures. I got a couple of pics of the entire dancing group afterwards, though.

I think my favorite dances were the ones between two dancers representing fire and water. Their outfits were great (fire had a red wig and waved flags around and water had dry ice floating all around the stage and blue streamers she waved around) and they were amazing dancers. The second half was filled with ballet dancers, who also did a beautiful job. It makes me think of my mom, who always wanted a ballet dancer as a daughter. My older sister and I took ballet lessons for a while, but neither of us intended to do it professionally. Maybe my mother will have better luck with my niece, Maddy. After the recital, George said that before he had seen the ballet, he hadn't really liked it, but now he wants his future children to all take ballet!

Here's the group at the Primary activity with all of our notebooks.
I helped the little girl with her Spongebob notebook. The woman on the other side is the girl's mother and also the nursery teacher that helps me in the nursery on Sundays. And by help, I mean she mostly teaches them since my lesson manual hasn't arrived yet and the little children will only pay attention to some crazy American speaking to them in English for so long.


The Spongebob notebook I made in preparation for this activity.
One of the kids at the activity was having a birthday, so we got some cake. This is one of the few cakes I've seen that has this much frosting on it.

The dance group. The blond haired character to the far right was a gag role. She/he/it wore a gigantic skirt during the performance from which a whole bunch of little girls came out and danced. I'm pretty sure my tutoring student was one of them.

George and I on the stage after the recital was over.

My tutoring student in her outfit. I saw a few other students from the preschool in the building, but they were all in the audience.

Steph and a gecko she caught earlier today. The little guy was very fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment