Monday, February 7, 2011

CPB: Little Women to The Chocolate Wars

Having read this book once before, I was prepared for the heartbreak that is Beth dying, but what I didn't remember was the sweet language and description before, during, and after the death. At least Beth and her family members were mentally ready for her passing rather than it being sudden and dark, as it would have been had she died during the first part of the book during her illness. Alcott brings up a good point when she says that "to most the end comes as naturally and simply as sleep" (419). So often in drama and in literature, death scenes are frantic, painful, and filled with grief and sorrow. This gives us the impression that death isn't such a thing to be feared as many people think. It would comfort young female readers to a great extent. Although I do have reservations about implanting the idea into their minds that every death is placid.

Also, she died the way I've always dreamed of dying: surrounded by flowers and cats.

From the "Learning to Forget" chapter, there's this passage: "But when our first little passion has been crushed, we are apt to be wary and slow in making a second trial" (430). That seems to strike true about love and romance everywhere, although I'm not surprised that it didn't take Laurie too long before he fell in love with Amy. I remember the novel describing how he was often turned away from relationships with other girls until he got used to it. But I don't blame him for waiting a little while before proposing to Amy. It's funny that Alcott describes the wooing process as the "first and sweetest part of his new romance" (430). If I didn't know any better, I would say that this implies the rest of their time together is going to be very rambunctious.

Turning to the Chocolate Wars, I have to say that the title is very misleading as to the mood of the book. Who can say they would associate something as warm and delicious as chocolate with high school violence, trickery, and secret societies? Something's just not right with that.

I can tell this would be a book geared towards young men. The main characters are male, they talk and think about very different subject matter (Jerry reads a Playboy at one point. Imagine the March girls' reaction to that!). It has suspense and intrigue.

One thing that perturbs me is the character of Archie. He holds a lot of power as the leader of the Vigils and has the kind of egotistic personality to covertly laud his power over everyone's heads. Something about the way he thinks doesn't sit well with me and I know I wouldn't be disappointed to see him fall from his high seat.

I'll end with a quote from the book that made me squirm: "He had never been able to use those words - The Vigils - aloud to a teacher, had had to deny the existence of the organization for so long that it was beautiful to use them, to see the surprise on Leon'a pale perspiring face" (29).

No comments:

Post a Comment